About Me

My photo
I am a simple country girl who loves life and lives it to the fullest. I cook for one of the greatest families ever. Cooking is my passion and I consider it as well to be my gift.

Search This Blog

Monday, February 1, 2010

GINGERBREAD MUFFINS

These spicy muffins would be wonderful on your breakfast table. Serve warm with pats of butter.

1 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 cup molasses
3 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 Tbsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg

Beat shortening at medium speed of electric mixer until fluffy; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add molasses, beat until blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until just blended after each addition. Add buttermilk; beat until blended in.
Combine flour with remaining dry ingredients. Gradually add to buttermilk mixture; beat until blended. Spoon into muffin tins, filling two-thirds full. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
Yield: 2 1/2 dozen.

"I remember that at one time I saw two of my young mistresses and some lady visitors eating ginger cakes, in the yard. At that time those cakes seemed to me to be absolutely the most tempting and desireable things that I have ever seen; and I then and there resolved that , if I ever got free, the height of my ambition would be reached if I could get to the point where I could secure and eat ginger cakes in the way I saw those ladies doing."~Booker T. Washington

No comments:

Post a Comment