About Me

My photo
I am a simple country girl who loves life and lives it to the fullest. I cook for one of the greatest families ever. Cooking is my passion and I consider it as well to be my gift.

Search This Blog

Friday, February 26, 2010

MAMA JOE'S STRAWBERRY-RHUBARB PIE

Strawberries and rhubarb go together like bread and butter. I was in Harris-Teeter supermarket in Boone, NC last week and they had the prettiest red rhubarb you ever laid your eyes on and my mouth was watering at the thought of one of Mama Joe's strawberry rhubarb pies topped with vanilla bean ice cream. She made her pie crusts from scratch, Adele does not!

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups fresh rhubarb, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 pints fresh strawberries, cut into thick slices
refrigerated ready pie crusts
2 tablespoons butter
water and sugar

Mix flour and sugar. Add rhubarb and strawberries. Toss lightly with two forks until well coated. Set aside for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place 1 pie crust in a 9-inch pie plate. Fill with fruit mounding in the center. Dot with butter. Place remaining pie crust over fruit filling. Trim and crimp with a fork. Sprinkle lightly with water, then sugar. Place on a baking sheet with rim. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for 30 to 40 minutes more.
Serves 8

"Strawberries are the angels of the earth, innocent and sweet with green leafy wings reaching heavenward."~Jasmine Heiler

No comments:

Post a Comment