About Me

My photo
I am a simple country girl who loves life and lives it to the fullest. I cook for one of the greatest families ever. Cooking is my passion and I consider it as well to be my gift.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

MEATBALL LASAGNA

This was the first lasagna I ever made so it had to be a long, long, time ago. Over the years I have written down in many different books all of the recipes I liked the most. It took me awhile but I finally found the recipe in one of these books. I am so happy because it is a wonderful dish.

MEATBALLS:
1/2 lb. ground chuck
1/4 lb. ground veal
2 tablespoons chopped onion
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1 teaspoon dried oregano
3/4 teaspoon salt
dash pepper
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 egg

In medium bowl combine all ingredients; toss lightly to mix well. With teaspoon shape mixture into 30 balls, each 3/4-inch in diameter.

SAUCE:
1/4 cup olive or salad oil
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 (1 lb. 12 oz.) can whole tomatoes, undrained
12 oz. tomato paste
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper

In hot oil in heavy skillet, brown meatballs; remove. Add onions, garlic; saute 5 minutes. Add rest of sauce ingredients with 1/2 cup water and meatballs; stir to mix. Bring to boiling; reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 9X13 baking dish.

1/2 pkg. (1-lb. size) lasagna
1 lb. mozzarella cheese, diced
1 lb. ricotta cheese
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Cook lasagna as label directs. Drain; rinse in water. In baking dish, layer half the ingredients: Lasagna, mozzarella, ricotta, tomato sauce with meatballs, Parmesan cheese. Repeat. Bake 30 to 35 minutes.
Serves 8 to 10

"Due to the shape of the North American elk's esophagus, even if it could speak, it could not pronounce the word lasagna."~Cliff Clavin, 'Cheers'

No comments:

Post a Comment