About Me

My photo
I am a simple country girl who loves life and lives it to the fullest. I cook for one of the greatest families ever. Cooking is my passion and I consider it as well to be my gift.

Search This Blog

Thursday, February 25, 2010

CHIMNEY CORNER COOKIES

Serve these delicious spicy cookies to Santa Claus with a big glass of milk. He might not be able to get back up the chimney, but wouldn't he be a jolly old fellow to have around.

1 cup shortening
1 3/4 cup brown sugar-packed
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. mace
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
3 eggs
2 3/4 cups of plain sifted flour
1 tsp. soda
2 Tbsp. milk
2 cups seedless raisins
1 cup chopped pecans

Combine first 9 ingredients in mixing bowl and beat well. Sift flour and soda together, add half of it to shortening mixture and blend well. Add milk, then remaining flour. Add raisins and nuts.
Measure out rounded tablespoons of dough on a baking sheet. Bake in 375 degree preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes until just starting to turn golden around the edges.
About 4 dozen cookies.

"Be naughty - save Santa a trip."-anon

1 comment:

  1. My mother got a recipe for "Chimney Corner Cookies" from the Duluth newspaper back in 1958. I have a copy of her handwritten recipe. She made it with walnuts and added 2 c chocolate chips. I'm not sure if the chips were on the original recipe. We have made these at Christmas for as long as I can remember. I use pecans instead of walnuts in mine too. I think they taste better that way.

    ReplyDelete