About Me

My photo
I am a simple country girl who loves life and lives it to the fullest. I cook for one of the greatest families ever. Cooking is my passion and I consider it as well to be my gift.

Search This Blog

Monday, February 8, 2010

HAM & BROCCOLI ROYALE (Dated Nov.27th, 2009)

You will love this dish which is fit for a King and his Queen.

1 1/2 cups cooked rice
1 (10oz.) pkg. frozen chopped broccoli, cooked and drained
1 cup soft breadcrumbs
3 Tbsp. butter, melted and divided
1 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups milk
2 cups cubed, cooked ham
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
6 slices American cheese

Spoon rice into a lightly greased 11X7-inch baking dish. Layer broccoli over rice.
Combine breadcrumbs and 1 1/2 tablespoons butter; set aside.
Cook onion in remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until tender. Add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Stir in ham, salt, and pepper.
Spoon ham mixture over broccoli layer; top with cheese slices, and sprinkle with breadcrumb mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until golden.
Yield: 4 servings.

"I do not like broccoli. And I haven't liked it since I was a little kid and my mother made me eat it. And I'm President of the United States and I'm not going to eat any more broccoli."-George H. W. Bush

1 comment:

  1. Wow! will try this! There was a dish they made in the cafeteria at Lees McRae when we were there. It was called ham al a King. I always LOVED it. Haven't had anything like it since then. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete