About Me

My photo
I am a simple country girl who loves life and lives it to the fullest. I cook for one of the greatest families ever. Cooking is my passion and I consider it as well to be my gift.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

IRON SKILLET-PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE

My Mama Joe use to make this very cake in the 10-inch cast iron skillet that I use now to make this caramelized version of one of the best cakes you may ever chance to meet.

1/2 stick butter
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 (15 1/4-oz.) can pineapple slices, undrained
3 eggs, separated
1 cup sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
6 or 7 maraschino cherries

Melt butter in a 9 or 10-inch cast iron skillet. Add brown sugar and pecans; mix well. Drain pineapple, reserving 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon pineapple juice; set juice aside. Arrange pineapple slices in a single layer over brown sugar mixture; set skillet aside.

Beat egg yolks until thick and lemon colored; gradually add sugar, beating well. Stir in reserved pineapple juice. Beat egg whites (at room temperature) until stiff peaks form; fold into flour mixture. Spoon batter evenly over pineapple slices.

Bake at 375 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes. Immediately invert cake onto a serving plate. Place cherries in centers of pineapple rings.

“Birthdays are nature's way of telling us to eat more cake.”~anon

No comments:

Post a Comment