About Me

My photo
I am a simple country girl who loves life and lives it to the fullest. I cook for one of the greatest families ever. Cooking is my passion and I consider it as well to be my gift.

Search This Blog

Saturday, February 6, 2010

KARIDESLI PILAV (Saffron Pilaf with Shrimp)

This happens to be one of my favorite dishes because I love shrimp and saffron. Pair them together in this recipe and I promise that you will love them too.

1/2 stick butter
1 sweet onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 celery stalks, diced
3 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice, washed and drained
1/2 teaspoon saffron threads, crushed and steeped in 1/4 cup hot water
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
3 cups fish, chicken, or vegetable stock
4 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

In large saucepan over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add the shrimp and saute, stirring constantly until pink, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the shrimp to a bowl.

Add the onion and garlic to the butter remaining in the pan and saute over low heat until beginning to soften, about 7 minutes. Add the celery and tomatoes and saute for 3 minutes longer. Add the rice and stir well. Add the saffron and its steeping liquid, salt, pepper, and heated stock. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and cook until the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is cooked, about 20 minutes.

Return the shrimp to the pan, stir once, and cover the pan. Turn off the heat and let the rice rest, covered, for 10 minutes. Fluff once with a fork, transfer to a warmed platter, sprinkle with the parsley and serve.
Serves: 4

“Love and Shrimp.”~Judith Viorst

No comments:

Post a Comment