About Me

My photo
I am a simple country girl who loves life and lives it to the fullest. I cook for one of the greatest families ever. Cooking is my passion and I consider it as well to be my gift.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

BOURBON SWEET POTATOES WITH PECANS (Dated Nov. 25th, 2009)

Jolene Carpenter wrote: Adele; here is one of my fav recipes I make every year for my friends and they can't do without it! It's delicious, but sweet, so I cut the sugar a little and sometimes use pine nuts, sunflower seeds and other nuts in addition to pecans. Enjoy! Jolene

Bourbon Sweet Potatoes With Pecans

Either the light pale or darker variety of sweet potatoes can be used. (If you prefer, you can drink the bourbon and add 1 tablespoon of water.)

4 medium sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds), unpeeled and scrubbed

¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter

½ cup firmly packed brown sugar

¼ cup water

¼ teaspoon salt

1 to 2 tablespoons bourbon or water

¼ cup chopped pecans

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prick the potatoes with the tines of a fork or the tip of a sharp knife several times. Bake until tender, about 1 hour. When cool, peel and slice lengthwise into quarters. Place in a lightly sprayed or oiled 8-by-10-inch baking dish.

Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium-heat, combine the remaining ingredients except the bourbon and pecans and stir until the butter is melted and the sugar is dissolved, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the bourbon. Pour the mixture over the potatoes. Bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Turn and sprinkle with the pecans. Bake until lightly browned, 10 to 15 minutes longer.
Serves 6.

This recipe was submitted by one of my dearest friends EVER Ms. Jo Carpenter. Her brother is Mike Carpenter, who graduated in my class of 1974. Jo now lives in Eugene, Oregon, and makes me homesick every time I see her pics for a land I have never seen. We went to France together also in 1974 with the French Club, and ended up 'buddying up' and the rest is history. I've said it before and pardon me while I say it one more time..."Precious memories how they linger!"

Thank you Jo for sharing your special, and I do mean special, sweet potato casserole with all of us. But most of all, thank you for the special friendship we have shared through all these golden years.

"A friend is a gift you give yourself."-Somebody said that before me

No comments:

Post a Comment