About Me

My photo
I am a simple country girl who loves life and lives it to the fullest. I cook for one of the greatest families ever. Cooking is my passion and I consider it as well to be my gift.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

CHEWY RAISIN-WALNUT SHORTBREAD BARS

Shortbread has always been one of my favorite bar cookies and this one is delicious as well as chewy, which is the best part. Raisins, walnuts, and coconut makes this a winning recipe for the Holidays. Great for gift giving.

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 stick butter
2 lg. eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/8 tsp. baking soda
1 cup golden raisins
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup flaked coconut

Combine flour and 1/2 cup sugar; cut in butter with pastry blender or two forks until mixture is crumbly. Press mixture in the bottom of a lightly greased 8-inch square pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
Combine eggs and next three ingredients, stirring until blended. Stir in raisins, walnuts, and coconut.
Remove pan from oven, and spread raisin mixture evenly over hot crust. Bake 20 to 25 minutes more or until raisin mixture is set. Let cool completely then cut into Yield: 1 1/2 dozen

"I prefer to regard a dessert as I would imagine the perfect woman: subtle, a little bittersweet, not blowsy and extrovert. Delicately made up, not highly rouged. Holding back, not exposing everything and, of course, with a flavor that lasts." ~Graham Kerr

No comments:

Post a Comment