About Me

My photo
I am a simple country girl who loves life and lives it to the fullest. I cook for one of the greatest families ever. Cooking is my passion and I consider it as well to be my gift.

Search This Blog

Monday, January 11, 2010

PICKLED CABBAGE SLAW

'Simple is best' has long been my motto in the preperation of good food. This slaw stands true to that testament.

1 large head green cabbage, finely shredded
1 green, red, and yellow bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1 cup sugar, or to taste
1 cup red cider vinegar, or to taste

In large salad bowl, combine cabbage and bell peppers. Whisk together sugar and vinegar in another bowl. Pour over cabbage, tossing to coat well. Cover and chill overnight.

This is a Pennsylvania Dutch recipe and goes particularly good with barbecue or fried catfish and just about anything else for that matter.

“Heads of cabbage exposed to extremely cold temperatures - minus 10 degrees Centigrade or so - taste the best. The cold turns starch into sugar, making the vegetable sweeter than usual.”~Jens Finke

No comments:

Post a Comment