About Me

My photo
I am a simple country girl who loves life and lives it to the fullest. I cook for one of the greatest families ever. Cooking is my passion and I consider it as well to be my gift.

Search This Blog

Saturday, January 30, 2010

FRESH ASPARAGUS SOUP

Asparagus is maybe my favorite green veggie. I love it boiled tender-crisp, in a salad, in a soup, or roasted in the oven in a nut or toasted sesame oil...the main thing is to not over cook it.

1 lb. fresh asparagus
1/2 cup water
3 Tbsp. butter
1 medium sweet onion, chopped
3 Tbsp. flour
3 cups evaporated milk
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
3 Tbsp. sour cream

Snap off tough ends of asparagus and cut in 2-inch pieces. Cook in the 1/2 cup boiling water 3 to 5 minutes or until just crisp tender; drain, reserving liquid. Set aside.
Melt butter in large pot over medium-high heat; add onion and saute 4 to 5 minutes until tender.
Add flour, cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes. Stir in reserved asparagus liquid until smooth.
Add asparagus, milk, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Stir in sour cream. Cool slightly.
Process mixture in batches in blender until smooth, stopping if necessary to scrape down sides. Return to pot; cook over low heat until thoroughly heated. Do not allow to come to a boil.
Serves 4 to 6

"Asparagus should be sexy and almost fluid..."-Diana Vreeland

1 comment:

  1. Thank you! was so simple to make.
    I couldn't bring myself to use evap. milk, so I used 2% regular milk. Since the asparagus was so expensive today, I extended the green with some red swiss chard resulting in a lighter asparagus flavor, so I added a veggie boullion. Also added a dash of fresh-grated nutmeg because I like nutmeg. Tried tasting before adding sour cream, it's better with it.

    ReplyDelete