About Me

My photo
I am a simple country girl who loves life and lives it to the fullest. I cook for one of the greatest families ever. Cooking is my passion and I consider it as well to be my gift.

Search This Blog

Sunday, January 24, 2010

GRAPE & HAVARTI SALAD (Posted in FB Recipe Group on Oct. 20th, 2009)

This is for Debbie Lacey..today is her birthday and this special salad is as refined as she is. This is very popular with my catering clients.

1 bunch Bibb lettuce, chopped
1 bunch leaf lettuce,chopped
15 each of red and green grapes
sections of 1 orange
1/2 to 3/4 cup Havarti cheese

Combine all ingredients, mixing well in large bowl. Chill, covered, until serving time.

Toss with SWEET & SOUR DRESSING just before serving.
1 (6oz.) can frozen orange juice concentrate
1/4 cup honey
1/2 canola oil
1/4 tsp. grated fresh ginger
Process the orange juice concentrate, honey, oil and ginger in blender until well blended.
Serves 12

Havarti is a semi soft cheese which is buttery and smooth in flavor and tender to the touch. Hailing from Denmark, this cows-milk cheese is mild, smooth, and rindless. It comes plain or flavored with caraway, chives, dill, herbs, hot peppers and spices. Always serve at room temperature so as to appreciate its full flavor and accompany with a fruity white wine, such as Macon Villages or Vouvray. I personally love a turkey sandwich with dill Havarti sliced thin. I learned this from my bosses son who owns his own food service company and travels the world looking for new "food" to get on the grocers shelves. Sometimes for breakfast I eat juicy plums with the plain Havarti. A beautiful way to start your day.

"To your good health, old friend, may you live for a thousand years, and I be there to count them."-Robert Smith Surtees

No comments:

Post a Comment