About Me

My photo
I am a simple country girl who loves life and lives it to the fullest. I cook for one of the greatest families ever. Cooking is my passion and I consider it as well to be my gift.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

HOT CHOCOLATE

This is for my dear friend Jo Carpenter, who ran off to Oregon and has not yet come back. Can't say as I blame her, she seems to be having the time of her life there. Beautiful, beautiful, country to do it in too. Take a thermos full of this heavenly concoction with you Jo next time you hike and take me with you in your mind. I love you.

3 oz. sweet chocolate-broken into small pieces
3/4 cup boiling water
6 cups milk (1 1/2 qts.)
3 rounded tablespoons freeze-dried coffee crystals or 5 tablespoons (that's a tablespoon shy of 1/3 cup) very strong, fresh brewed coffee
2 cinnamon sticks-broken in several pieces
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
pinch of salt
sprinkle of nutmeg to garnish

Place the chocolate and boiling water in a small heavy saucepan. Cook over LOW heat, stirring, until the chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. In a larger saucepan, put a scald on the milk with the coffee and cinnamon. Add the chocolate mixture, blending well, and season with vanilla and salt. Remove the cinnamon sticks, and beat with a rotary beater until foamy. Pour into small mugs and dust lightly with nutmeg. (Jo-skip the foaming part if you're carrying it in a thermos-just to be safe. Use the foam method when serving at home.)
Serves 8

"Researchers have discovered that chocolate produces some of the same reactions in the brain as marijuana..The researchers also discovered other similarities between the two, but can't remember what they are."-Matt Lauer on NBC's Today Show

No comments:

Post a Comment