About Me

My photo
I am a simple country girl who loves life and lives it to the fullest. I cook for one of the greatest families ever. Cooking is my passion and I consider it as well to be my gift.

Search This Blog

Saturday, January 30, 2010

MUSHROOM STUFFED LETTUCE IN BROTH

I personally think that this is one of the best things I have ever had the pleasure of eating in my entire life. If you are a vegetarian use vegetable broth instead of meat.

1 lb. shiitake mushrooms
2 Tbsp. olive oil
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh marjoram, or 1 tsp. dried
1 cup ricotta cheese
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 large head romaine lettuce
4 cups meat broth
4 slices crusty bread, toasted in oven and brushed with olive oil

Finely chop the mushrooms in food processor. Fry in the olive oil with garlic and marjoram for 10 minutes, over medium low heat, stirring occasionally. Mash ricotta with eggs, mushrooms, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper, mixing well.
Discard outer leaves of lettuce and separate the rest. Place in boiling water for just a few seconds until they soften, then drain. Open each carefully, put a heaping tablespoon of filling at one end and roll up towards the end where the rib is thickest, tucking in the sides so the filling does not fall out.
Pack rolls in large pot. Bring the broth to a boil and pour over the rolls; simmer for 10 minutes. Serve in soup bowls on the toasted bread with some of the broth poured over the top. Yum Yum eat um up.
Serves 4

"He is of the race of the mushroom; he covers himself altogether with his head."-Platus

No comments:

Post a Comment