About Me

My photo
I am a simple country girl who loves life and lives it to the fullest. I cook for one of the greatest families ever. Cooking is my passion and I consider it as well to be my gift.

Search This Blog

Saturday, January 30, 2010

MARINATED ROAST BEEF TENDERLOIN

I cook a lot of whole beef tenderloins in the summer time when I am working. Every now and then I'll throw one on the grill but the majority of the time I roast them in the oven. I always start them out at a high heat and then reduce the ovens temperature. This sears it quickly, thus allowing for the meats natural juices to stay where they belong, evenly dispersed throughout the meat.
A meat thermometer is a must to have when roasting any meats. I always cook the tenderloins to between 135 degrees and 140. 145 degrees is the normal reading for medium-rare. I cook mine below this number as it will continue to cook after it is removed from the oven. Cover it wth aluminum foil and allow it rest for 15 minutes before slicing with an electric knife. It will be tender and juicy, and should be a perfect medium-rare.
Always have your bucher trim the tenderloin of excess fat and then tuck under the ends and roll-and-tie it with twine. This allows for even cooking of the meat.

Coarsely ground fresh black pepper
1 (5 to 6 lb.) beef tenderloin, trimmed and tied
1 1/2 cups soy sauce
3/4 cup bourbon
2 to 3 garlic cloves, crushed
4 slices bacon
1 medium sweet onion, sliced

Generously sprinkle the tenderloin with the pepper. Place meat in a large sealable plastic bag. Combine soy sauce, bourbon and garlic and pour over the tenderloin in bag. Seal tightly and marinate at room temperature for up to 8 hours prior to cooking.
When ready to cook, drain marinade, reserving it. Place the tenderloin in a large roasting pan. Arrange the bacon over the top and drizzle with the reserved marinade. Top with the sliced onion.
Place tenderloin in a preheated 450 degree oven. Reduce the oven temperature to 400 degrees. Roast for 30 to 50 minutes or to the desired degree of doneness. Test with a meat thermometer after 30 minutes of cooking. Whatever you do don't overcook it as this will ruin such a nice piece of meat.

"Heaven sends us good meat, but the devil sends us cooks."-David Garrick (1717-1779) English actor, producer, and dramatist

No comments:

Post a Comment