About Me

My photo
I am a simple country girl who loves life and lives it to the fullest. I cook for one of the greatest families ever. Cooking is my passion and I consider it as well to be my gift.

Search This Blog

Monday, January 11, 2010

RED WINE BRAISED CABBAGE AND ONIONS

This wonderful dish comes from a very dear friend of mine, Sherron Westmoreland Setterfield, of Wilmington, NC. We have been friends for many, many years and she is one of the best cooks I have ever known and has always freely given of her love and recipes to me. She writes at the top of the recipe this sentiment..."You are going to love this! It is like mulled wine in winter-fruity, comforting & worthy of a smile."...Yes, I am so happy to call her my friend...two peas in a pod...

Saute in 3 tablespoons unsalted butter and 3 tablespoons olive oil, 1 1/2 lb. 1/4-inch thick lengthwise sliced red onions..before clear add 1 (3lb.) head red cabbage, cut into small (1/4-inch wide) wedges. Add 2 cups red wine, 2 cups water, 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, 1 Gala apple (peeled and grated), 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar, 1 teaspoon ground cloves, 1 bay leaf, 1 teaspoon ground peppercorns and 1 teaspoon coarse salt. Cover, stir, and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes. (I use large pot for this.)
We served this with pork and scalloped potatoes and it was great!

“True friendship multiplies the good in life and divides its evils. Strive to have friends, for life without friends is like life on a desert island..to find one real friend in a lifetime is good fortune; to keep him is a blessing.”~Baltasar Gracian

No comments:

Post a Comment