About Me

My photo
I am a simple country girl who loves life and lives it to the fullest. I cook for one of the greatest families ever. Cooking is my passion and I consider it as well to be my gift.

Search This Blog

Monday, January 18, 2010

MANGO SALSA

This recipe comes from 'Heaven's Banquet', Vegetarian Cooking For Lifelong Health the Ayurveda Way; The Maharishi Ayur-veda Cookbook, by Miriam Kasin Hospodar. I love this book and that is why it is my #2 pick for Honorable Mention in todays "Coffee Pot Question of the Day".
You could serve this with either Mexican or Indian-style dishes.

1 tablespoon mild-flavored oil
1/2 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
2 cups coarsely chopped mangoes
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
1/8 teaspoon salt

Heat the oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the mustard seeds and saute until they "dance." Turn off the heat, add the ginger, and stir a few times to coat with the oil.
Toss with mangoes, kime juice, cilantro and salt.
Variation: Add finely chopped green chilies.
Yield: About 2 cups.

"When the mangoes are ripe on the tree, then the branches bow down."~Ancient Indian saying describing the humility of enlightened people.

No comments:

Post a Comment