About Me

My photo
I am a simple country girl who loves life and lives it to the fullest. I cook for one of the greatest families ever. Cooking is my passion and I consider it as well to be my gift.

Search This Blog

Monday, January 18, 2010

CHEDDAR CHEESE SQUARES

These are a very popular appetizer which I have made many times over the years. The recipe is from 'Come On In', by The Junior League of Jackson, Mississippi; Which is featured in "The Coffee Pot Question of the Day'.

1 loaf white sandwich bread, thinly sliced
1/4 cup unsalted butter
10-oz. coon cheese
3 large egg whites, stiffly beaten

Remove bread crusts and cut slices into quarters. Over low heat, melt butter and cheese together, then remove from heat. While mixture is hot, fold in beaten egg whites. Dip bread quarters into cheese mixture, place on wax paper, and refrigerate overnight. Broil until golden brown on each side.

The overnight refrigeration period is necessary for this dish. It can also be prepared up to the cooking point and stored in the freezer for quick and easy snacks.
Yields: 80

"Our door is always open, so don't bother to knock; just come on in!"-from 'Come On In'

No comments:

Post a Comment