About Me

My photo
I am a simple country girl who loves life and lives it to the fullest. I cook for one of the greatest families ever. Cooking is my passion and I consider it as well to be my gift.

Search This Blog

Friday, January 8, 2010

THE BEST EVER MACS AND CHEESE

This recipe came from the 'Relay For Life Cookbook', put out by United Community Banks. I bought one and have so many cookbooks that I never got around to using it, so I gave it to my good friend and neighbor, Beverly Staring, from the Globe. She is a wonderful cook and brought this dish to one of our summer cookouts and everybody just ooohed and ahhed and were literally swooming. What is so special you ask about this particular macs & cheese? How about 10 cups of Cheddar cheese and a homemade white sauce. If that doesn't do it for you your trigger is not going to get flipped!

1 (16oz.) box elbow macaroni
2 Tbsp. butter
1 (16oz.) sour cream
8 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Cook macs as directed. Place in large mixing bowl and add the butter while macs are still hot. Add the sour cream, mixing well; then add the cheese, mixing well again. Place in a 4 qt. casserole dish.

Make White Sauce:
2 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. self-rising flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups evaporated canned milk
2 cups shredded cheddar

Combine all ingredients except cheese in bowl. Cook in microwave at 2 minute intervals until it begins to thicken. Pour over mixture in casserole dish and dot with 2 more Tbsp. of butter. Cover with foil. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Uncover and top with 2 more cups of shredded cheddar. Bake 15 minutes longer, uncovered, until top is lightly browned.
Serves 10 to 12.

"It's diamonds in your pockets one week, macaroni and cheese the next."~
Jolene Blalock

No comments:

Post a Comment