About Me

My photo
I am a simple country girl who loves life and lives it to the fullest. I cook for one of the greatest families ever. Cooking is my passion and I consider it as well to be my gift.

Search This Blog

Saturday, January 2, 2010

A LOVE AFFAIR WITH PIMIENTO CHEESE

I have had a love affair with pimiento cheese as far back as I can remember. Typically, pimiento cheese is considered a "Southern Food". The Masters Golf Tournament features pimiento cheese sandwiches as their signature dish. In the Philippines it is entitled, cheese pimiento. My mother's sister, Nan Vance Hamwey, had a Filipino friend who made what I thought was the best pimiento cheese ever!
There are as many ways to prepare pimiento cheese as there are to eat it. The most typical and simple recipe usually includes sharp cheddar cheese, mayonnaise, pimientos, and salt; but leave it to us imaginative Americans to 'spice it up' with all matters of ingredients.
Most cooks throw their ingredients into a food processor this day and time. Not me! I grate mine coarsely on an old metal hand grater, and revel in any chunks that may fall by the wayside. (Did I mention that I am a cheese-aholic?).
There are multitudes of ways to enjoy pimiento cheese than just on white bread. Slather it on a burger and wash it down with a cold beer. The next time you make twice-baked potatoes, use it instead of just grated cheddar. Try it on toasted bread with a slab of home-grown tomato, or a grilled cheese, and how about with a BLT? Mix with sour cream and use as a dip with chips or crackers.
I think we all have the idea now, so on with the recipes.....

FANCY PIMIENTO CHEESE SANDWICHES

This is my boss ladies take on the infamous Masters Golf Tournament sandwich. It is very popular at our cocktail parties.

8 oz. extra-sharp high quality cheddar cheese
3 oz. jar pimientos, drained and chopped
1/4 cup mayonnaise
hot sauce to taste
salt and pepper to taste
honey wheatberry bread, crusts removed
Vidalia onion, as thinly sliced as possible
watercress sprigs, trimmed

Combine cheddar through salt and pepper. Spread on slices of honey wheatberry bread. Top with onions and watercress. Slice into triangles to serve.

COOKS NOTE: You can make these covered with another slice of bread or serve them open-face. Your choice.

DELICIOUS PIMIENTO CHEESE

2 cups grated Cheddar
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup finely chopped pimientos
1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt

Combine all ingredients. Chill well prior to serving.

SWEET PIMIENTO CHEESE

2 lbs. sharp cheddar cheese, coarsely shredded
2 (4oz.) jars pimientos, drained, diced
1 1/2 cups Dukes mayonnaise
1/4 cup sugar

Combine all ingredients, mixing well.

SAVORY PIMIENTO CHEESE

2 lbs. sharp cheddar cheese, coarsely shredded
2 (4oz.) jars pimientos, drained and diced
1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper

Combine all ingredients, mixing well.

SPECIAL PIMIENTO CHEESE

1 (4oz.) jar pimientos, chopped, oil reserved
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup Durkee's sauce
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1/3 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
2 tsp. sugar
1/2 lb. grated milk cheddar cheese
1/2 lb. grated processed American cheese

Combine all ingredients except cheeses. Add cheeses and mix well. Moisten with reserved pimiento oil. Chill overnight to ripen flavor. 4 cups

JALAPENO PIMIENTO CHEESE

1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
1 (4oz.) jar diced pimiento, drained
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon finely grated onion
1/4 tsp. ground red pepper
2 seeded and minced jalapeno peppers
1 (8oz.) block extra-sharp cheddar cheese, finely shredded
1 (8oz.) block sharp cheddar cheese, shredded

Stir together mayonnaise through jalapenos, add cheeses. Store in refrigerator.

BEER PIMIENTO SPREAD

8oz. (2 cups) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
8oz. shredded Swiss cheese
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 cup beer

Combine cheeses through mustard; gradually add beer, beating constantly on medium speed of electric mixer until of spreading consistency. Serve with assorted crackers.

COOKS NOTE: Have your cheeses at room temperature for this recipe.

CHEDDAR SWISS SPREAD

1 cup (4oz.) shredded cheese
1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
1/2 cup chopped dry-roasted peanuts
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 (2oz.) jar diced pimientos, undrained
1 tablespoon minced onion
1 tsp. prepared mustard
1/4 tsp. pepper

Stir together all ingredients. Cover and chill.

"I never met a pimiento cheese I didn't like."~Adele Forbes

5 comments:

  1. Adele, I do love me some gooood pimento cheese! I especially like the smooth kind that comes in those little glass jars (Kraft brand?). I assume I could take any one of these recipes and put it in food processor, right? I have been eating that stuff since my mamma used to buy it for at Howell's store down in Altamont when I was little. Yummm. Jolene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Epicurious.com is a great link for recipes, but don't trust the reviews...to each his/her own taste.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo, I loved the cheese in jars too...had actually forgotten about it...what a sweet memory. I hve used Epicurious alot in the past, will add it to the Website list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your recipe blog and use it a lot! Thanks for keeping it updated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It will be great to watch Masters Golf Tournament - Monday Practice Round,i have bought tickets from TicketFront.com looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete