About Me

My photo
I am a simple country girl who loves life and lives it to the fullest. I cook for one of the greatest families ever. Cooking is my passion and I consider it as well to be my gift.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

EASY PICKLED BEETS

Pickled beets are always a favorite condiment on the Thanksgiving and Christmas table.
1/2 cup vinegar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 (16oz.) can sliced beets
2 tsp. whole allspice
8 whole cloves
6 whole bay leaves
1/2 tsp. salt
1 medium-size sweet onion, sliced
Heat 1/4 cup of the vinegar in a small saucepan. Add the sugars, stirring to dissolve. Place the beets, spices, bay leaves, and salt in a bowl with the remaining 1/4 cup vinegar. Pour the sugar/vinegar mixture over beets. Cover with the sliced onions. Refrigerate for 24 hours. Stir occasionally. Excellant in salads or nestled next to your favorite greens, string beans, or even pintos. When the beets are gone, slice more onion into the juice and serve with salad.
"I have always loved beets, I mean loved them. Pickled beets are my very favorite. Succulent and tartly sweet. Works for me every time."-Adele Forbes

No comments:

Post a Comment