About Me

My photo
I am a simple country girl who loves life and lives it to the fullest. I cook for one of the greatest families ever. Cooking is my passion and I consider it as well to be my gift.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

CROCKPOT STEW

This recipe has been in my files as long as I can remember keeping them. Try it, I will personally guarantee that you will love it!

2 lbs. chuck roast, cut into large bite-size pieces
2 onions, chopped
4 carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
2 stalks celery, cut into 2-inch pieces
2 cups sliced mushrooms
6 potatoes, cut in large wedges
2 bay leaves
1 (8oz.) can tomato sauce
1 can beef broth
1 cup red wine
5 cups water
1/2 stick butter
1/2 cup flour

Combine meat and vegetables in electric slow cooker. Ass ingredients through water. Cook 6 hours on High; 7 or longer on Low. Thirty minutes before serving, melt butter. Add flour and whisk to blend. Add 1 1/2 cups hot broth to roux, then return all to the stew, stir well. Tuen on High for 30 minutes to allow to thicken.
Serves 6 to 8
COOKS NOTE: Serve with cornbread and red wine.

"The frying pan you should give to your enemy. Food should not be prepared in fat. Our bodies are adapted to a stone age diet of roots and vegetables."~Denis Burkitt

No comments:

Post a Comment