About Me

My photo
I am a simple country girl who loves life and lives it to the fullest. I cook for one of the greatest families ever. Cooking is my passion and I consider it as well to be my gift.

Search This Blog

Thursday, January 7, 2010

OLD-FASHIONED VEGETABLE SOUP

This recipe dates back to World War II and has never failed to deliver.
1 lb. ground beef
1 cup chopped sweet onion
1 cup diced peeled potatoes
1 cup sliced carrots
1 cup sliced celery
2 (16oz.) cans diced tomatoes
5 cups water
1 Tbsp. salt
1/4 tsp. each crushed basil and thyme
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp. black pepper
2 Tbsp. instant beef bouillon
1 (8.5-oz. can) whole kernal corn, undrained
1 (8.5-oz. can) green beans, undrained
1 (8.5-oz. can) sweet peas, undrained
Cook the ground beef and onion in large pot until meat is browned; drain well. Add remaining ingredients except for the canned veggies. Simmer for 30 minutes. Add canned veggies and continue heating for 10 minutes. Serves 6.
"An old-fashioned vegetable soup, without any enhancement, is a more powerful anticarcinogen than any known medicine."
James Duke M.D.(U.S.D.A.)

No comments:

Post a Comment