About Me

My photo
I am a simple country girl who loves life and lives it to the fullest. I cook for one of the greatest families ever. Cooking is my passion and I consider it as well to be my gift.

Search This Blog

Thursday, January 7, 2010

MUSHROOM BARLEY PILAF

Mushrooms and barley are normally thought as being paired together in soup, but this recipe would make an excellent side dish to serve with a roasted chicken.

1/2 stick butter
1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 small sweet onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 tablespoon fresh
1/2 cup pearl barley
3 cups chicken broth
1/3 cup golden raisins

Melt 3 tablespoons of the butter in a 2-qt. casserole dish in microwave oven on high power. Sir in mushrooms through thyme and cook 3 minutes. Add the barley, cook 2 minutes. Stir in the broth, raisins, and remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Cover and cook 35 minutes. Allow to stand, covered, for 5 minutes before serving.
Serves 4

"In the age of acorns, before the times of Ceres, a single barley-corn had been of more value to mankind than all the diamonds of the mines of India."~Henry Brooke

No comments:

Post a Comment