About Me

My photo
I am a simple country girl who loves life and lives it to the fullest. I cook for one of the greatest families ever. Cooking is my passion and I consider it as well to be my gift.

Search This Blog

Friday, March 5, 2010

SHRIMP BURGERS

My friend Susie Williams asked me if I had a recipe similar to the shrimp burger that is sold at the Provision Company, located on the Inland Waterway, in Holdens Beach, NC. The Provision Company is my favorite place to eat in Holden Beach. Their version of a shrimp burger is similar to one that I make and love, and it is not the "fried" shrimp burger that you see in a lot of restaurants on the coast that is often topped with tartar sauce, but a boiled chopped shrimp with some veggies thrown in. I don't know their exact recipe but we both have the same idea. I am going to 'blow my horn' here and say that I think mine is better. So if you get to Holden's Beach check out the Provison Company and try their shrimp burger and do sometime try mine and decide for yourself which one you think is best. They have a very relaxed atmosphere with a nice view of the bridge and the waterway, you can drive your boat right up to the dock, and if you're drinking beer you have to get up and get your own out of the cooler......p.s. my favorite thing to eat there is the grilled grouper salad surrounded with marinated tomatoes, cucumbers, and onions...order a side of tartar.

1 lb. fresh shrimp
2 tablespoons chopped scallions
3 tablespoons diced celery
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 cup unflavored bread crumbs
1 egg, beaten
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Tabasco to taste
2 tablespoons peanut oil

Boil shrimp for 2 minutes. Drain, place in a bowl with ice water. Peel and devein shrimp and chop into small dice.

In a large bowl, mix shrimp with scallions, celery, parsley, and lemon zest. Stir in breadcrumbs and the egg and stir until combined. Season with salt and pepper and Tabasco.

Form into six patties, about 6-inches in diameter and saute until both sides are nicely browned. Drain on paper towels. Serve on buns with lettuce, tomato, and tartar sauce.

COOKS NOTE: The shrimp mixture can be prepared ahead, chilled overnight in plastic wrap and removed just before frying. This is how I do it, at least let it get good and chilled before you fry them, they will hold together better. Serve on a good quality bun.

"Thar she blows: the call it came; the boats were launched; the whale was named."~anon

2 comments:

  1. What do you do with the mayonnaise and the peanut oil?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you do with the mayonnaise and the peanut oil?

    ReplyDelete