About Me

My photo
I am a simple country girl who loves life and lives it to the fullest. I cook for one of the greatest families ever. Cooking is my passion and I consider it as well to be my gift.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

MEXICAN CORNBREAD

This is my favorite cornbread. I start with MAMA JOE'S CORNBREAD recipe and add sauted bell peppers, onion, corn, jalapenos, and sour cream to the batter.
1 stick butter
1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/4 cup coped red bell pepper
1 or 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
1 (8oz.) can whole kernel corn
1/3 cup sugar
2 cups self-rising flour
1 cup self-rising white cornmeal
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup sour cream
2 large eggs
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Melt 1/2 stick of the butter in a 10-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add onion, peppers, corn and sugar and saute for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
Mix remaining ingredients together in bowl until just blended. Add sauteed veggies to batter. Place remaining 1/2 stick of butter in the empty skillet and place in oven just until butter melts. Add half of the butter to the batter leaving the remaining two tablespoons butter in the pan. Pour batter into the pan and bake for 30to 35 minutes until golden across the top.
Yield: 12 to 16 servings.

“The North thinks it know how to make corn bread, but this is a gross superstition. Perhaps no bread in the world is quite as good as Southern corn bread, and perhaps no bread in the world is quite as bad as the Northern imitation of it.”
Mark Twain

No comments:

Post a Comment