About Me

My photo
I am a simple country girl who loves life and lives it to the fullest. I cook for one of the greatest families ever. Cooking is my passion and I consider it as well to be my gift.

Search This Blog

Thursday, December 17, 2009

HO HO MILK

HO HO MILK
This is my mother's recipe for eggnog. Somewhere along the line it got the name of Ho Ho Milk and I think it's an appropriate title for the holiday season. It is actually a boiled custard, thinner, than say a banana pudding custard, and every time I take a sip of it, visions of sugar plums start dancing in my head.


1/2 cup sugar
3 egg yolks
1/4 tsp. salt
4 cups milk
1/8 tsp. salt
3 egg whites
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
whipped heavy cream

Beat 1/2 cup of the sugar and 1/4 tsp. of salt into egg yolks in top of a double boiler. Add milk and cook until mixture coats a metal spoon, stirring constantly. Chill several hours or overnight.
When you are ready to serve, add 1/8 tsp. salt to egg whites and beat until stiff. Add remaining 1/4 cup sugar as whites become frothy. Add vanilla. Gently fold egg whites into custard mixture. Add stiffly beaten whipped cream. Serve sprinkled with freshly grated nutmeg. Serves 6 to 8.

COOKS NOTE: Be sure and set out a glass of this creamy, heavenly concoction with the plate of homemade cookies for Santa Claus. You'll make him so happy.

“Santa is our culture's only mythic figure truly believed in by a large percentage of the population. It's a fact that most of the true believers are under eight years old, and that's a pity.”~Chris Van Allsburg

Picture courtesy of http://www.geekphilosopher.com/ Free pictures of every description

No comments:

Post a Comment