About Me

My photo
I am a simple country girl who loves life and lives it to the fullest. I cook for one of the greatest families ever. Cooking is my passion and I consider it as well to be my gift.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

VIDALIA ONION RELISH

I love this relish on hotdogs and hamburgers and nestled next to the honey-baked ham soup beans, coleslaw, and fried taters on my plate.

22 cups chopped Vidalia onions (about 10 lbs.)
1 cup chopped sweet red pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup salt
4 cups ice cubes
4 1/2 cups sugar
3 cups white vinegar (5% acidity)
2 tablespoons mustard seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons celery seeds
1 teaspoon ground turmeric

Combine onions with red pepper, garlic and salt in a large nonmetal container; stir well. Place ice cubes on top of onion mixture and allow to stand at room temperature for 3 hours; drain well. Place in a large Dutch oven; set aside.

Combine sugar and remaining ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. ?Add to onion mixture; bring to a boil, and boil 5 minutes.

Pack hot onion mixture into hot jars with a slotted spoon, fillinf to 1/2-inch from top. Cover with boiling liquid, filling to 1/2-inch from top. Remove air bubbles; wipe jar rims. Cover at once with metal lids, and screw on bands. Process in boiling water bath 10 minutes.
Yield: 14 pints

“The kitchen, reasonably enough, was the scene of my first gastronomic adventure. I was on all fours. I crawled into the vegetable bin, settled on a giant onion and ate it, skin and all. It must have marked me for life, for I have never ceased to love the hearty flavor of raw onions.”~James Beard (1903-1985)

No comments:

Post a Comment