About Me

My photo
I am a simple country girl who loves life and lives it to the fullest. I cook for one of the greatest families ever. Cooking is my passion and I consider it as well to be my gift.

Search This Blog

Saturday, December 4, 2010

GINGERBREAD BOYS & GIRLS

When my children were little we made Gingerbread boys and girls every year in December. It was great fun and we made small ones and BIG ones and I gave them to all my neighbors and decorated the Christmas tree with them. Fun! Fun! Fun! Here is my original recipe...they came out perfect every time...well, every now and then an arm or leg would go missing.

1 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 big egg
1 cup molasses
2 tablespoons vinegar
5 cups sifted enriched flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves

Thoroughly cream shortening, sugar, and salt. Stir in egg, molasses, and vinegar; beat well. Sift together dry ingredients; stir into molasses mixture. Chill for 3 hours. On lightly floured surface roll to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut with gingerbread boy and girl cookie cutters. Place 1-inch apart on greased cookie sheet. Use red hots for faces and buttons. Bake at 375 degrees about 6 minutes. Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet. When thoroughly cool, use confectioner's sugar frosting to pipe on trims.
Yield: 5 to 6 dozen

COOKS NOTE: The best part of gingerbread cookies is decorating them. Kids especially love this part! Use raisins, icing or cinnamon red-hots for eyes, noses, mouths or buttons. Icing can be piped for fancy cookies to resemble clothing or hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment