About Me

My photo
I am a simple country girl who loves life and lives it to the fullest. I cook for one of the greatest families ever. Cooking is my passion and I consider it as well to be my gift.

Search This Blog

Sunday, February 27, 2011

NANNIE'S STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM

When I was growing up in my grandparents home in Newland, NC, my mothers sister, Nan Vance Hamwey, made absolutely the best homemade ice cream EVER! She made a homemade custard and loaded it with fresh, ripe strawberries that we had picked ourselves, and then all the grandchildren got to take turns cranking the ice cream maker. Those where the days my friends, at the time our youth made us believe that they would never end.
2 (3 oz.) pkgs. strawberry-flavored gelatin
2 cups boiling water
2 big eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 (13 oz.) can evaporated milk
6 cups whole milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 quart fresh strawberries~mashed

Dissolve gelatin in boiling water; cool slightly then set aside.
Beat eggs with an electric mixer until frothy, gradually add sugar, beating until thick. Add gelatin mixture, milk, and vanilla; mix well. Stir in strawberries.
Pour mixture into freezer can of a 1-gallon hand-turned or electric ice cream freezer. Freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Allow to ripen at least one hour.
Yield: 1 gallon

“Like the strawberry wives, that laid two or three great strawberries at the mouth of their pot, and all the rest were little ones.”~Francis Bacon, Sr.



1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your such a nice information. You have been extremely supportive...best ice shaver

    ReplyDelete