About Me

My photo
I am a simple country girl who loves life and lives it to the fullest. I cook for one of the greatest families ever. Cooking is my passion and I consider it as well to be my gift.

Search This Blog

Monday, March 28, 2011

VELVETY CHEESE SOUP

Kids of ALL ages love this soup! It is velvety, rich, and very possibly the creamiest soup you have ever had the pleasure of eating.

1 stick butter
1 cup finely diced celery
1 cup finely sliced carrots
1 cup finely diced onion
1/2 cup flour
3 tablespoons cornstarch
8 cups chicken broth
4 cups evaporated milk
4 cups water
1 lb. grated Cheddar cheese
1 lb. cubed Velveeta cheese
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
salt & pepper to taste

Melt butter in large soup pot. Saute vegetables until tender. Stir in flour and cornstarch. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add broth, milk and water gradually, blending until smooth. (A wire whisk works well for this.) Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until cheese is melted. Add cheeses and soda, stir constantly until cheese is melted. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with additional cheese. Serve with a nice rustic bread.
Serves 14 to 16

"I live on good soup, not fine words."~Moliere

No comments:

Post a Comment