About Me

My photo
I am a simple country girl who loves life and lives it to the fullest. I cook for one of the greatest families ever. Cooking is my passion and I consider it as well to be my gift.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

FORBES SUMMER SALSA

Generous neighbors in the Globe below me share their summer bounties of fresh tomatoes and bell peppers every August and I put them to good use with this flavorful salsa. I never go by the 'per-say' ingredients but rather start with how ever many tomatoes I have and go from there. Use lots of fresh lime juice and cilantro.

2 cups peeled chopped tomato (red & yellow & Heirloom if you have them)
1/2 cup finely chopped Vidalia or other sweet onion
1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
2 to 4 jalapenos, chopped
8oz. tomato sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried
1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lime juice, don't dare use that 'stuff' in the bottle
1 tablespoon white vinegar

Combine all ingredients. cover and chill well. Becomes better each day as it mingles and marries.

Cooks Note: I make huge bowls of this and don't measure anything just throw everything in by sight and what I have to work with. If you are making large amounts of it to you can by all means throw it in the food processor as opposed to chopping it all up by hand. It is just as good and last years batch we even thought was better than some of the 'chopped' jars I canned. Either way, enjoy it year round this way with chips or in lots of different recipes...uuummm...my Mexican Fudge comes to mind and 'The Best Chicken Enchiladas".

No comments:

Post a Comment