About Me

My photo
I am a simple country girl who loves life and lives it to the fullest. I cook for one of the greatest families ever. Cooking is my passion and I consider it as well to be my gift.

Search This Blog

Monday, February 18, 2013

STUFFED POTATOES WHICH BECOME POTATO CHOWDER TO FOLLOW

I cruise food blogs to the point that if I were getting paid for it I would be rich. It's an incurable addiction for me. This recipe comes from a very funny lady and I always enjoy reading her posts. You can check her out at www.alilcountrysugar.blogspot.com  I modified it only a very little.
You start out making the STUFFED POTATOES.....
2 large baking potatoes, baked until done
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/4 of a large onion, chopped
1 cup broccoli, chopped fine
1 cup carrots, chopped fine
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese + more for sprinkling
 In a medium skillet, heat oil. Saute onion about 5 minutes. Add broccoli, carrot and garlic, stir until soft, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat, cover and cook 4 minutes longer. Halve potatoes and scoop out pulp. In a large bowl combine potato pulp, sauteed veggies, sour cream, parsley, parm cheese and salt and pepper to taste. Mash everything with a potato masher. Spoon mixture into potato skins, place on baking sheet. Sprinkle with a little more Parm cheese and baked until through, around 15 minutes.
One potato half = 3 WW Points

POTATO CHOWDER
Chop up leftover stuffed potatoes. (I just had one half for dinner last night so that left me with 3 for chopping-if you're sharing ;>) say for instance with your mate then you can just chop the two remaining, but I think you need at least two).
1/4 cup of an onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced ( I use bottled)
32 oz. low sodium low fat chicken stock
1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper
1 cup fat-free skim milk
2 handfuls of baby spinach (no chopping necessary)
 In a Dutch oven over medium heat combine chopped potatoes through spinach.. Cover and simmer 30 minutes.
1 1/2 cups has only 4 WW points
*Cheesy-It's Provolone flavored crackers make a nice accompaniment...just be sure to calculate the points for them.
"Imagine, if you can, what the rest of the evening was like. How they crouched by the fire which blazed and leaped and made much of itself in the little grate. How they removed the covers of the dishes, and found rich, hot savory soup, which was a meal in itself, and sandwiches and toast and muffins enough for both of them."~Frances Hodgson Burnett

No comments:

Post a Comment