About Me

My photo
I am a simple country girl who loves life and lives it to the fullest. I cook for one of the greatest families ever. Cooking is my passion and I consider it as well to be my gift.

Search This Blog

Sunday, June 16, 2013

QUICHE LORRAINE

Being a Personal Cook to a well to do family has it's perks. I get to try new recipes from all  over the world as they are world travelers. When the lady of the house asked me to make her husband's favorite quiche for his Father's Day lunch I eagerly took to the task ahead. 
The recipe itself came straight from the Cordon Bleu School of Cooking located in Paris, France.
It's really a simple recipe consisting of ham, Swiss cheese, eggs, milk, heavy cream, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
1 (9-inch) deep-dish pie shell-baked
1/2 lb. sliced ham
1/2 lb. sliced Swiss cheese
2 whole eggs plus 1 egg yolk
1 cup scalded milk (I used evaporated milk)
1 Tbsp. heavy cream
salt, pepper, nutmeg
Heat oven to 350. Beat 2 whole eggs and 1 egg yolk together. Add pinch of salt, pepper and nutmeg. Add 1 tablespoon heavy cream. Scald 1 cup milk then temper the eggs by pouring the hot milk just a little at a time into the eggs. This makes up the custard. Place ham slices over the bottom of the pie crust. Top ham with the slices of Swiss cheese. Pour the custard mixture over the ham and cheese. Cook 20 minutes or just until the custard is set. The top of the quiche should only be tanned in spots. Allow it to stand for 6 to 8 minutes to give it time to set up. Cut into wedges to serve.
Serve with French-style green beans and a lovely red tomato which has been peeled and sliced. You can get 6 large servings out of it or 12 hors d'-oeuvres servings. You can also use cooked bacon and cheddar or any other cheese you like with this recipe. Enjoy!

"I am convinced that I am the one who introduced quiche to America."~James Beard

1 comment:

  1. I was fascinated to see a photo of your recipe. believe me this time I am very hungry and your recipe is unjust. he he he. Mr Chef Good work.
    South Asian's are using the same type of breakfast dish. But this recipe is a little different, and they are prepared whole wheat. This is Baked, but they cooked on fire. i wish i cud show you it's photo, but i'm looking for option to upload but m failed.

    ReplyDelete