About Me

My photo
I am a simple country girl who loves life and lives it to the fullest. I cook for one of the greatest families ever. Cooking is my passion and I consider it as well to be my gift.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

SOUTHWEST LAYERED CORNBREAD SALAD

In my profession I am always searching for new recipes that 'flip-my-trigger'; here is just such a creation. Lovely layers of my Mama Joe's cornbread stars with more layers of lettuce, corn, black beans, tomatoes, onion and shredded cheddar cheese.
You can make a cake of your favorite cornbread to use in this recipe or here is a link for Mama Joe's Cornbread...http://inmamajoesshadow.blogspot.com/2009/12/mama-joes-cornbread.html.....
1 cake of your favorite cornbread (you won't need all of it)
2 cups mayonnaise
1/2 cup 1000 Island dressing
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. salt
Crumble the cornbread, set aside. Mix the mayonnaise through the salt together. 
2 heads chopped Romaine lettuce
1 (14 oz.) can yellow corn, drained
1 (14 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
6 to 8 Roma tomatoes, chopped
2/3 cup finely chopped onion, red or sweet
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

In a 4-qt. glass dish (a clear glass dish works best here so that you can see the pretty layers), place half of the lettuce, then top with half of the cornbread crumbs. Spread half of the mayonnaise mixture over the cornbread layer. Layer half each of the corn, beans, tomatoes, onions and cheese. Repeat layers with the remaining ingredients. Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.
Serves 6 to 8

“Her corn-cake, in all its varieties of hoe-cake, dodgers, muffins and other species too numerous to mention, was a sublime mystery to all less practised compounders.”
Harriet Beecher Stowe, 'Uncle Tom's Cabin' (1852)




No comments:

Post a Comment