About Me

My photo
I am a simple country girl who loves life and lives it to the fullest. I cook for one of the greatest families ever. Cooking is my passion and I consider it as well to be my gift.

Search This Blog

Monday, April 23, 2012

SALTY DOG FUDGE

The "Random House Dictionary" describes the word 'fudge' as: "a candy made of sugar, butter, milk, chocolate and flavoring".........I beg to differ with them as in my time I have made many different kinds of fudge and they certainly did not all contain chocolate. Not there's anything wrong with chocolate, my goodness, I have been a self-professed chocoholic for most of my life. When it comes to fudge though, I tend to prefer peanut butter without chocolate in it.
So naturally when a friend slid a copy of this recipe across the kitchen counter to me I had to try it. She said, "There's a secret ingredient", in a slow whisper, which turned out to be an entire sleeve of Saltine crackers.
My brain and tongue both immediately went to flapping....salty&sweet....sweet&salty....oooh Yes!
2 cups sugar
2 Tbsp. butter
1/2 cup milk
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 sleeve Saltine crackers, crushed
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Bring sugar, butter and milk to a boil over medium heat, stirring.
When it comes to the actual boil, only let it boil for 1 minute and then remove it from the heat. Add remaining ingredients, stirring until well blended. Pour into a butter greased glass 8X8 baking dish. Refrigerate until well chilled then cut in pieces. 
'I never met a fudge of any description that I did not love!"~Adele Forbes

No comments:

Post a Comment