About Me

My photo
I am a simple country girl who loves life and lives it to the fullest. I cook for one of the greatest families ever. Cooking is my passion and I consider it as well to be my gift.

Search This Blog

Friday, October 7, 2011

CARAMELIZED ONION AND PORTOBELLO MUSHROOM SOUP

I recently made this wonderful soup at my place of work and I was sampling it when my boss man came through the kitchen with his nose in the air, sniffing like a rabbit, and demanding to know, "What are you cooking now?". I told him what it was while my eyes were rolling around in my head and then said these very words...."If that don't do it for you I can't help you." We had a good laugh and they called later to tell me that it was the best soup they had ever partaken of and have since eaten every bite of it.
1 tablespoon butter
1 1/2 lbs. onions, halved, thinly sliced
4 sprigs of fresh thyme
2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 lbs portobello mushrooms, stemmed, halved and cut into 1/4-inch strips
3 tablespoons brandy
3 garlic cloves, minced
8 cups beef broth
1 cup dry white wine
salt & pepper to taste

Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large heavy pot over high heat. Add the onions and thyme. Saute for 8 minutes or until the onions begin to soften. Reduce the heat to low. Cook for 20 minutes or until the onions are caramelized, stirring occasionally. Remove to a medium bowl, set aside.
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in the same pot over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms. Saute for about 12 minutes or until tender. Add the brandy and garlic. Stir for 20 seconds. Stir in the caramelized onion mixture, beef broth and wine. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Simmer for about 45 minutes or until the onions are very tender. Remove and discard the thyme. Season with salt and pepper. Serve warm.
Serves 6

COOKS NOTE: For a hearty meal add cooked steak.

"All things share the same breath~the beast, the tree, the man...the air shares its spirit with all the life it supports."~Chief Seattle


3 comments:

  1. This soups sounds amazing! So glad soup weather is here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is some where beyond amazing Carolyn! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a message.

    ReplyDelete