About Me

My photo
I am a simple country girl who loves life and lives it to the fullest. I cook for one of the greatest families ever. Cooking is my passion and I consider it as well to be my gift.

Search This Blog

Sunday, January 2, 2011

ALL WEEK LONG BISCUITS

I have to confess that I have never been much of a scratch roll or biscuit maker. I tend to want to knead the dough to death and this is a no-no in the world of bread baking. Then I ran up on this recipe in an old church cookbook and thought, what the heck, I'll give it a try. The dough will keep in the refrigerator for up to one week and all you have to do is take out however much you need at a time and roll it out, cut it out, and then slip them in the oven. No waiting to rise, no kneading. Works like a charm every time and the man of the house is happy.

6 cups self-rising flour
1 cup Crisco shortening
5 tablespoons sugar
2 cups buttermilk
5 tablespoons warm water
1 pkg. dry yeast

Dissolve yeast in warm water. Cut shortening in to flour and sugar. Add buttermilk and yeast mixture. Mix well and store in covered bowl. Roll out on floured board. Cut and bake at 450 degrees until brown. Keeps for a week in the refrigerator.

“Poetry is the synthesis of hyacinths and biscuits.”~Carl Sandburg

No comments:

Post a Comment